Project overview: Of the many diverse world languages, very few are within reach of current natural language processing (NLP) and machine translation (MT) techniques. While mainstream approaches fail to generalize for most languages due to the lack of resources (e.g. text, annotations ...etc), our approach is designed to discover and leverage deep syntactic and semantic structures elicited from human experts.
Focus languages: Malagasy, Kinyarwanda, Swahili and Yoruba.
- Mar 2015: Liu et al's paper on abstractive summarization using semantic representations was accepted at NAACL 2015.
- Mar 2015: Yulia et al's paper on constraint-based models of lexical borrowing was accepted at NAACL 2015.
- Mar 2015: Zhang et al's paper on Randomized Greedy Inference for Joint Segmentation, POS Tagging and Dependency Parsing was accepted at NAACL 2015.
- Dec 2014: Narasimhan et al's paper on unsupervised morphology was accepted at TACL.
- Dec 2014: Belinkov et al's paper on prepositional phrase attachment was accepted at TACL.
- Nov 2014: Garrette et al's paper on Weakly-Supervised Grammar-Informed Bayesian CCG Parser Learning was accepted at AAAI 2015.
- Aug 2014: Ammar et al's paper on CRF autoencoders was selected for an oral presentation at NIPS 2014.
- Aug 2014: Bhatia et al's paper on classifying definiteness functions at COLING 2014.
- July 2014: Sun et al's paper on parsing low-resource languages using Gibbs sampling for PCFGs with latent annotations was accepted at EMNLP 2014.
- July 2014: Dou et al's paper on joint alignment and decipherment was accepted at EMNLP 2014.
- July 2014: Zhang et al's paper on greedy inference for dependency parsing was accepted at EMNLP 2014.
- July 2014: Lei et al's paper on low rank tensors for dependency parsing won the best student paper at ACL 2014. AMR parsing received honorable mention for best long paper.
- May 2014: A paper was accepted at the SemEval Workshop 2014.
- May 2014: Four publications accepted at ACL 2014 on low rank tensors, using arbitrary global features for parsing, super taggers, AMR parsers, and cross-lingual metaphor detection.
- Jan 2014: Braune et al.'s paper on Mapping between English Strings and Reentrant Semantic Graphs was accepted at LREC 2014.
- Jan 2014: Two publications accepted at LREC 2014 on adjectives and definiteness.
- Dec 2013: A paper on spoken language translation accepted at EACL2014.
- Sep 2013: Two publications accepted at EMNLP 2013 on translation into morphologically rich languages and dependency-based decipherment.
- Aug 2013: An improved Kinyarwanda morphological analyzer has been released!
- Jul 2013: A paper on synthetic translation options accepted at WMT 2013.
- Jun 2013: A paper on quasi-synchronous tree-to-tree MT was accepted for publication in the Computational Linguistics journal.
- Apr 2013: Three publications accepted at ACL 2013 on POS tagging, transfer learning of grammars and parsing graphs.
- Mar 2013: Cross-site technical meeting at Pittsburgh, PA to follow up on collaboration projects.
- Feb 2013: Four publications accepted at NAACL 2013 on word alignment, POS tagging, large-scale discriminative training, and language modeling.